Sitting at a desk for long periods of time can cause unnecessary stress and tensions in parts of the body. It is wise to keep track of how much time is spent sitting and take regular breaks to avoid back and neck tension. Health is a top priority, because it ensures efficiency at work and an overall better quality of life. Standing also increases muscle strength in parts of the legs and lower back. Here is an inexpensive project for a simple and reliable do it yourself standing desk that will provide you with a healthy strength building technique to do work usually done while seated. This particular design can be modified by changing the lengths of the desk supports to fit the optimum desk height you require. The assembly for the standing desk is very simple and will require common household tools.
So let’s get started…
1. Desktop from Ikea
Ikea is a great place to start when looking for a desk top. The store provides a lot of variations on finishes depending on the theme or colour scheme that you want to compliment. Above is a link to an Ikea page that gives you a picture and price on different types of desktops.
2. Supports for the Legs (Flanges) x8
For this project I will be using simple supports for the legs which are easy to install on the base of the desktop, and also on the ends of the metallic pipe supports. If you order from this website the flanges come with the appropriate screws for mounting.
3. Metallic pipes that attach onto the flanges.
For this assembly we will use metallic pipes to connect into the flanges to provide support and increase ease of assembly. Make sure the length of the pipes is optimum for a comfortable standing and working position.
4. Hand drill, screw driver, and 3/4 inch dry wall screws x16
These items listed above will be used to attach the flanges to the base of the desktop.
1. Once you have acquired all of the items listed above, you want to start out with placing the desktop on a smooth surface with the side you want to screw the flanges into facing the ceiling. If the desktop is the same on both sides meaning there is coatings or a finish on both sides then just choose a side to screw the flanges into place on.
2. Once a side is chosen for the flanges, give your attention to the 4 corners of the desktop. We want to measure for a spot that is the same distance from the 90 degree point on all the corners. A good idea is to place the flanges so that the sides of the flanges are flush with the corners of the desktop. Then mark for the holes with a pencil and screw in the screws where the pencil marks were. Repeat this for all 4 corners of the desktop.
3. Next secure all 4 flanges onto the marked areas of the desktop.
4. Next place the metallic pipes into the flanges which are attached to the desktop.
5. Next you will notice that there are still 4 flanges remaining, these are to be mounted on the ends of the metallic pipes after they have been mounted to the flanges mounted on the desktop.
6. Next flip over the standing desk and enjoy your new creation.
For a more detailed description on building a more sophisticated standing desk please visit the site below.
It’s important to keep in mind that even the small things that are done frequently end up playing a large role in our day to day lives and overall health. It’s incredible how small things like taking the stares occasionally can contribute greatly to quality of life. The standing desk’s benefits and applications are endless which is why it’s an important item for all professionals to have.
I wish you the best results in all your endeavours.